Read about how successful these members have been!
Attend one of our informational HopeBuilders breakfasts to learn more about the Champlain Housing Trust and the affordable housing work we do in northwestern Vermont.
The Champlain Housing Trust, founded in 1984, is the largest community land trust in the country. Throughout Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle counties, CHT manages 2,300 apartments, stewards 620 owner-occupied homes in its signature shared-equity program, offers homebuyer education and financial fitness counseling, provides services to five housing cooperatives, and offers affordable energy efficiency and rehab loans. In 2008, CHT won the prestigious United Nations World Habitat Award, recognizing its innovative, sustainable programs.
The Champlain Housing Trust is a Community Land Trust that supports the people of Northwest Vermont and strengthens their communities through the development and stewardship of permanently affordable homes.
The communities of Northwest Vermont will be diverse and inclusive with safe, decent, affordable, and attractive housing choices for all people.
- Permanent Affordability and Community Control. CHT is a Community Land Trust with a membership drawn from our region that elects a Board of Directors with equal representation of local governments, residents of CHT homes and the wider community. Through this open and democratic structure we steward a variety of permanently affordable housing options for low and moderate income persons, with a priority for our most underserved populations.
- Energy Conservation and Smart Growth. CHT is committed to promoting affordability and protecting the environment by reducing energy costs and consumption. CHT supports long-term regional sustainability though development strategies that use the land wisely and that foster pedestrian and transit-oriented communities.
- Transparency and Accountability. CHT conduct its business, programs and activities with honesty, integrity and transparency and is accountable to the people we serve and our members through our membership and elected Board of Directors.
- Excellence. CHT is committed to excellence and quality in all of our programs and services.
- Diversity and Inclusion. CHT highly values the involvement of members and constituents in our programs, and activities, and works towards diversity in our workforce, governance, and the people we serve. In keeping with this value, CHT seeks to ensure the highest possible level of inclusion and cultural sensitivity.
- Flexibility. CHT will balance social responsibility with reasonable risk-taking so that we can meet our commitments in a changing world and adapt services to respond to market changes, customer needs, and new opportunities
- Employer of Choice. CHT is committed to employing the best workforce possible by providing competitive compensation and benefits, including a livable wage, and a safe and welcoming workplace for all employees.
- Housing Security and Mobility. CHT is committed to providing the widest range of options to serve people at various income levels, with any kind of special need, at different points in their life and in different housing markets within the service area. We do this through our partnerships with social service agencies and by developing and stewarding a variety of housing types and tenures. Most importantly we provide wraparound programs, services and membership benefits that allow people to enjoy security, affordability and mobility within our portfolio of homes to meet changing needs.