Read about how successful these members have been!
Attend one of our informational HopeBuilders breakfasts to learn more about the Champlain Housing Trust and the affordable housing work we do in northwestern Vermont.
Update on South Meadow Fire
Saturday’s fire was frightening. A few people suffered serious injuries, but thankfully there were no casualties. We owe a debt of gratitude to the fire fighters who responded.
Here is an update with the most up-to-date information that we have:
- The Burlington Fire Department has determined that the fire started outside in the stairwell. The investigation continues.
- We have found new housing for all four of the households who had lived on the left-hand side of the building, which is a total loss. Paperwork is being processed now.
- We are assessing whether and when the four households on the right side can move back in. In the meantime, they will continue to be put up in a local motel.
- After helping tenants with their housing, CHT’s next steps will be working with our insurance company and contractors to evaluate how to reconstruct the building.
- Next week there’ll be a number of community activities underway at South Meadow, including a summer school lunch program starting up, outreach around a new composting program, and support of a brand new community garden. We hope residents will participate in these activities.
- The victims of the fire suffered a great deal and a few lost some or virtually all of their belongings. Efforts are underway to support them and we are compiling those options. If anyone is interested in helping out, please contact Anna Herman at CHT at 862-6244 to learn how.
« Go Back