Champlain Housing Trust’s Homebuyer Education Workshops give you the tools and information you need to navigate the home purchase process and become a successful homeowner.
Our workshops include the introductory Basics of Buying a Home and the more in depth Homebuyer Education Certificate Program.
The Basics of Buying a Home
This FREE, 1-½ hour class gives you a general overview of the purchase process and helps you know how to get started.
- Virtual (live via Zoom) and in-person dates available
- Covers credit and mortgage readiness
- Offers information about local resources and programs
For more information and to sign-up, go to The Basics of Buying a Home
HomeBuyer Education Certificate Program
In order to purchase a home through our Shared Equity Program, you must receive a certificate from this program.
This comprehensive program covers the entire homebuying process including:
- How to prepare your finances to be in a position to purchase
- How to find special programs that can help with closing costs and down payment
- How to navigate the homebuying process
- How to work with a real estate agent, a lender, a lawyer, and a home inspector
- How to maintain long-term homeownership
The cost of this program is $99 (for up to two people) and includes:
- Informational sessions
- Individual counseling and affordability assessment
- Comprehensive credit report
- Annual CHT membership
- NeighborWorks Home Education Certificate (required by many loan and special programs)
We are pleased to offer our workshop in FOUR formats. You only need to register for one.
NOTE: Options 2-4 offer VERMONT SPECIFIC information. If possible, please choose one of those options.
OPTION 1 — I Am Ready to Start Right Now Online!
Our on-demand, self-paced Homebuyer Education option through our national partner eHome America. Allows you to participate at times that work for you.
OPTION 2 —I Prefer the Local Option via Zoom!
Register for a virtual live workshop, hosted by one of Champlain Housing Trust’s home education counselors right here in Vermont. This class is attended over Zoom and works best with a computer rather than a phone.
Check back soon to register for the next Zoom date.
OPTION 3 — I Prefer to Join In Person!
If you prefer an in-person experience, this is the class for you! These are hosted by Champlain Housing Trust’s home education counselors at various locations in Burlington and St. Albans.
Check back soon to register for the next in-person date.
OPTION 4 — I Prefer a Language Other than English!
We are currently developing interpreted versions of the workshop in French, Arabic, and Nepali. These will be held in-person in the Burlington area.
Check back soon to register for interpreted events.
After you complete one of the four workshops, you will meet with a HUD-certified counselor for your individual counseling session. While the workshop is a broad overview, the counseling session will focus on your specific situation.
Your counselor will:
- Review your credit report with you.
- Calculate your affordability (how much home you can buy).
- Identify programs or resources that could help you.
- Address specific home buying challenges that you may be facing.
You will create an action plan that will outline steps you can take to become ready to purchase. You will receive your HomeBuyer Completion Certificate after your initial counseling appointment.
Most counseling services are provided virtually, via Zoom.