CHT’s HomeBuyer Education can help you navigate the home buying process and provide the support you need to be a successful homeowner.
We now have two ways to help people who want to buy a home: The Basics of Buying a Home and HomeBuyer Education Certificate Program.
The Basics of Buying a Home
Our new workshop The Basics of Buying a Home is a FREE, 1 ½ hour workshop that introduces information about the process of buying and related topics. This light overview is intended to help people who need more information before making this big decision. The Basics of Buying a Home does not offer individual counseling, nor a certificate.
For more information go to The Basics of Buying a Home
HomeBuyer Education Certificate Program
To get started on the HomeBuyer Education Certificate, enrolling in a workshop is the first step. It provides a complete overview of the home buying process as well as prepares you for the responsibilities of owning a home. The cost for CHT’s HomeBuyer Program is $99 for up to two people, who are purchasing together. The fee covers the workshop, one-on-one counseling, credit report, annual CHT membership, and information about financial assistance, grants, special lender programs and so much more.
NEW IN 2023! We are pleased to offer our workshop in four formats:
Choose your preferred format (you only need to register for one)
1. eHome America is a user-friendly online homebuyer education program that you can access anywhere and complete at your own pace. This comprehensive program covers the entire home buying process including credit, getting a mortgage, identifying and planning for the costs of buying a home, tips and techniques for writing a purchase and sales contract, working with the lender, Realtor, Lawyer and Home Inspector, and getting through the closing.
You may sign-up here www.ehomeamerica.org to register for your eHome America online workshop.
2. Lead by a CHT expert via Zoom, this virtual workshop is a dynamic experience that covers the basics of buying a home but has a focus on Vermont specific processes and programs. We will introduce a variety of special programs that you may be able to access to help you successfully buy a home.
Our next virtual homebuyer workshop is March 7 & 9 from 5:30 – 8:30 pm (You must attend both sessions)
Check back soon to register for CHT’s Zoom workshop.
3. CHT staff are joined by local area experts to offer this in-person workshop. The interactive workshop covers the basics plus Vermont specific processes and programs in a fun and informative way. It is the optimal option for a first-time homebuyer.
Our next in-person homebuyer workshop is May 13 from 9 am – 5 pm
Check back soon to register for CHT’s in-person workshop.
4. Interpreted workshops – NEW in 2023. As a part of our Homeownership Equity Program, and in order to serve everyone in our community, CHT will offer our HomeBuyer Education interpreted into three languages.
Our next interpreted workshops are:
February 11, 18 & 25 from 2 – 5 pm, in Nepali (You must attend all three sessions)
March 11, 18 & 25 from 2 – 5 pm, in French (You must attend all three sessions)
April 8, 15, & 22 from 2 – 5 pm, in Arabic (You must attend all three sessions)
Check back soon to register for one of CHT’s interpreted workshops.
After you complete one of the four workshops, you will meet with a HUD-certified counselor for your individual counseling session. While the workshop is a broad overview, the counseling session will focus on your specific situation.
Your counselor will:
- Review your credit report with you.
- Calculate your affordability (how much home you can buy).
- Identify programs or resources that could help you.
- Address specific home buying challenges that you may be facing.
You will create an action plan that will outline steps you can take to become ready to purchase. You will receive your HomeBuyer Completion Certificate after your initial counseling appointment.
Most counseling services are provided virtually, via Zoom.