Financial Assistance To Pay Your Bills

Need Help Paying Your Bills?

Rent Mortgage Utility

Many Vermonters are struggling due to the economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. We want to make you aware of state programs that can help. Funding is available for all eligible Vermonters who need help paying rent, mortgage, and utility bills. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible if you qualify.

Rent & Utilities Assistance

The Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program (VERAP) is a program created to assist renters with financial challenges related to the Covid-19 pandemic. Households who qualify may receive financial assistance for rent, utilities, moving costs, and security deposits. For translation services or questions, call VERAP at 833-488-3727.

To learn more and apply:
Application for renters with Reach Up (Department of Children and Families).
Application for all other renters
(Vermont State Housing Authority).

Mortgage & Utilities Assistance for Homeowners

If you are a homeowner behind on mortgage or utilities, please email or call 802-810-8218 to make an appointment with a Champlain Housing Trust Housing Counselor to talk about options that are available to you.

Homeowners with a home heating emergency or who are in danger of running out of fuel to heat your home, Crisis Fuel Assistance through Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO) may be available. For information and to apply, visit CVOEO’s website or call (802) 862-2771 or 1-800-287-7971 (Voice/TDD).

Coming soon! Vermont Housing Finance Agency (VHFA) will announce funding for homeowners to prevent mortgage delinquencies and defaults, foreclosures, loss of utilities, or home energy services, and displacement. To learn more about the Homeowner Assistance Program (HAP), please click here. Questions? Email VHFA at [email protected].

Questions or need assistance with any of these programs?

Champlain Housing Trust Housing Counselors are trained and ready to help you access funds to keep up with payments. Please email or call 802-810-8218 and make an appointment. Our call volume is high, but we do our best to return your call within 48 (weekday) hours.

Avoid Scams

Avoid scammers who pose as government representatives or agencies offering financial assistance. The federal government will not call, text, or send an online message. Do not respond to requests for gift cards, cash, credit card, or banking information. These are likely scams.

Article updated 11.10.21